Saturday 4 August 2018

Fallout Diaries pt 2



December 5th, 2278Written Entry

“Quackton”. The newest addition to the Commonwealth is a place called Quackton. Alayna was in high spirits when she named her new settlement this. Said it worked far better than Starlight Drive-In. I suppose so, since most don't even know what that is anymore. For good reason. Heard someone got abducted outside one out west. But still. Quackton? Maybe the collar did go off and this is just Hell. Well, let's talk about this place...

First of, when initially designing it, Alayna stated she didn't want it closed in. She wanted it be feel inviting, open. So, in short, no walls. Or as few walls separating things as possible. With the exception of outer walls, obviously. And, I have to admit, she accomplished it. There's very few walls. Dividers, yes, but walls? It's also inviting to see a free radiation cleanser right at the gate. People don't have to come into the town, they can just press a button, walk through, and bam! No more rads for the road. I was...rather surprised by this. But then, Alayna also tells me that her inspiration for the towns design does come from the Minutemen belief system. “Help the people” and all that.

Right beyond the sign, still along the road, she has a Slocum Joe's coffee shop. It's bright, and welcoming. She says back before the war there were shops like these usually kept close to highway exits. Can't imagine how someone could drive at speeds with something so hot in their hands but people can manage in different ways. Suffice to say, she says it adds to the welcoming comfort of this town. I suppose. It's enough to attract people just passing through to see the brightly lit signs.

Continuing into the town she's built up a large indoor shopping district. This is where her “no indoor walls” policy has really been implemented. Four shops on the first floor only separated by the color of their carpet and the waist high dividers in between them. It also helps that from the entrance you can peer all the way to the far off Nuka Cafe at the other end of this “mall”, she calls it, and the place is 80% naturally lit with window walls and windowed roofs. It does make the place look bigger than it actually is and certainly helps against any claustrophobic feelings.

The Nuka Cafe is just a large cafe like room stretching two stories in height and covered in Nuka Cola merchandise. Flags, posters, paintings, plants, lights, tables, chairs, even the machines are all Nuka Cola bred. Well, except one. She designed it up to look like a Sunset Sarsaparilla machine. I think she's learned a bit too much about my past. I know I haven't written it here in my journal officially, I will soon. Talking with Alayna about it was comforting.

There's another lounge she calls the “quiet lounge”. A place people can come and get drinks and socialize over them. I've never known anyone who could socialize with a drink in their hands so I guess this is all just a fun experiment on Alayna's part. Curious to see the results. It does look cozy with a long couch and several chairs. Not my scene but still it makes her happy.

Right across the town, beyond the outdoor cafe that was once the projection building, I guess, is the clinic. She's tried to make the first floor of this three floor structure as comforting as possible. “People can get most scared at a hospital”. Still, these statues and that picture freak me out. I don't know how anyone could look at those and see comfort. Second floor is the clinic itself and the floor above is a barber shop. Don't know why the barber shop needs to be above the clinic. Alayna goes there enough, always changing her style and color. She's green now, for some reason, I think the black looked best on her.

After the clinic there's the power structure. It's too small and cramped so I never go in there. Amazed she'd know how to build such a thing. But...by this point there were plenty of settlers roaming around. So I'm sure they helped. I know Heather and I were useless in this. But just beyond that is the settlers home. Just a bunch of bunk beds and attached to this structure is the jail. Two inmates so far. A gal named Cait put in for starting bar fights at the Maple Leaf Rag and another. Piper.

Vault 114 was the scene of her crime. We went in, the four of us, to rescue this guy named Valentine. We rescued him and were on our way out when this mobster named Skinny Malone stopped us. Alayna talked his “squeeze” away from the room and the crook gave us a ten count to scram. Alayna and Valentine were quick enough to take it. Heather and I followed but I suppose Piper wasn't too keen on leaving. Alayna didn't even notice until the guns were firing. We ran back and there was Piper; pistol drawn and taking cover. Had to kill Malone and his goons. Never saw Alayna so angry. She grabbed Piper's wrist and didn't let go until she practically flung her into her cell. Sure he's done worse, but we only had kidnapping on Malone. Not worth killing him over. Protect the people, even the crooked ones. I suppose.

Outside the jail is the greenhouse. It's exactly what you'd think it is. Greenhouse. It's where the food is grown. Two passages. People can just waltz in and take something. Alayna's too trusting sometimes.

Maple Leaf Rag is the biggest structure right by the old projection screen. It's a two floor...gentlemen's club with dancers on the first floor and a bar on the second one. This is what Alayna considers the “noisy lounge”. For some reason, right above this, she's decided to build a museum of paintings. And then above that...our rooms. Once more all only divided by waist high walls. 06, that forth generation Synth troublemaker, has her room. Heather has hers as well and I have my own. Couch and the good ol' two headed bear on the wall. All I need. All I want. Alayna's room...is either like a fan girl's or a stalkers. Nuka Girl everywhere. Posters, signs, standies, even the covers of her bed and the pillow she keeps on the floor and chairs. She likes it though. Me? I'm just glad she's happy.

December 6th, 2278 – Written Entry

Made mention I was gonna do this. Anyone who knows me now can plainly see it. I told it to Alayna during construction of...Quackton, and told it to Heather to calm her the hell down about my damn collar. It's not nuclear, it's not active, it's just there now. Really hating it though. But still don't see removing it as necessary at the moment. Might only be activated remotely. If that's the case, it could still be active. Bird could find it, start pecking at it thinking it's a shell of something squishy inside.

For starters, my full name is Madison Reeve. Corporal in the NCR, first recon division. I was at Bitter Springs. A part of the “incident” it would later be referred to as. Contrary to what the superiors would try and sugar coat it as being, contrary to their excuse of miscommunication...it was a massacre. NCR taught its troopers just about anything anyone needed to know in how to fight a war. How to survive it? How to look through a scope and get up and personal of children screaming, people crawling their way to safety...they expected you to learn that on your own.

After it I left. Didn't bother resigning. In the chaos I just left. Was up to my spotter to put me down as a traitor, deserter. Luckily he understood. Shot himself in the leg, said it was from the fight he had with me. He wasn't going to stop fighting, said he believed in the cause. Yet he agreed with my reasons for leaving. Hope he's doing okay. Hope he's still walking.

I went east. Figured going through Ceaser's land I was bound to be picked up. Killed at least. Didn't find much. Just barely protected camps. Slaves still working, next in line being trained. Made myself a ghost in those situations. Did manage to sneak out a few supplies and a bomb collar. Snapped it around my neck and continued east. Figured sooner or later it'd go off. End the visions.

It didn't though. It was a dud, probably why it was tossed to the side. I thought they were just careless. Just a thought though. Keeping it on, in case it's only remote activated. Sooner or later, if that's the case, button's bound to be pressed. Whether by a pecking bird or careless child who stumbles across it and thinks it's a toy. I think that way would be more fitting. Eye for an eye kind of method.

Eventually arrived at this place called The Pitt. Where I got this armor. Snazzy. Little bit outlandish. Very bit outlandish. Still, it does the job. Didn't stay there long as I heard there was some disease running through the place. Bit ago there was some revolt but it was quelled due in part to a traveler. Wonder what they were thinking. Doesn't matter. No one person can be responsible for curing every piece of land they come across. Same with the NCR. People say their biggest problem was them spreading themselves out too far. They're trying to help, I get that, but you can't help everyone. You shouldn't help everyone.

Eventually, I picked up a radio signal. Someone from first recon was around. Didn't understand how, just knew someone was in the old Boston area. Came to investigate and that's when I met Alayna. Eventually, we came across a trader. He had a beret on stock. Instantly recognized the emblem. First recon. Alayna bought it as a curiosity. Glad and angry she did. When I told her all this she gave it to me. Took off the mask and the goggles. Wearing it now with mixed feelings. Proud of the bear but...can't forget. Still won't look through a scope. I know that would help Alayna, help her Minutemen friends. But can't help everyone. Shouldn't help everyone.

Don't know why the recon member was here for. Looking for me? Is he the spotter? I don't know. Someday I'll find out. Hopefully it's good news.

December 12th, 2278 – Written Entry

Since removing the mask and goggles after our ventures through Vault 81, Alayna has been...staring at me more. Not really studying, just looking at me with a bit of a daze. Figured there might have been something wrong with the diseased mole rats we just went through. Figured I'd ask Heather. She's been with Alayna longer than I have. She didn't jump or run. Sometimes miss the days when she thought my collar was nuclear. When I asked about Alayna her response startled me. “You too?!” I asked if anyone else was asking about her, maybe Moira our old secretary (Good gal. Wish she was here but she likes Sanctuary too much. Fan of walls.) Heather said Alayna was actually asking about me.

Perhaps too up front, I went to Alayna telling her if she wanted to know about me she could ask. She looked sad until I reminded her I was an open book to her now. Vault 81 proved how good a person she was. She's sick, could've saved her life. Chose to save the child. Not many would do that. Especially those in this world.

At that she jumped at the idea to get to know one another better. Suggested the Taphouse in Diamond City upper stands. So that looks to be settled. She'll get to know me and I'll get to know why Quackton. Later asked if this was going to end up like the Dugout Inn. She assured at one million percent that this was absolutely not going to end up like Dugout Inn.

December 26th, 2278 – Written Entry

During an investigation of some rogue AI program, we returned to Diamond City to find it lit up more than usual. Lights of various colors all around and Alayna become incredibly excited over it. She explained it was for some holiday from her time and so the three of us had a sort of mini celebration for it. Alayna was coy when it came to the present she wished to give me, saying she would give it to me later that night. It was... I'm saving the details of it for my other journal.

In the morning, after she had looked over Alayna's pip boy, she said she heard something playing off it. Playing it again, Alayna's eyes practically lit up. I suppose next stop on our fun adventure...is Nuka World.

No comments:

Post a Comment