Monday 4 June 2018

Fallout Diaries pt 1



***DISCLAIMER***
This is based on a modded playthrough. I'll try and detail any major mods mentioned. In this, three major mods are;
-Heather Casdin: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/4020572
-Build a follower: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/1101409
-Sanctuary estates: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/4052548
-Canadian flags: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/4027710 
-People Collars: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/2964260
-Toxic Raider: https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/4019203


October 27th 2287 – Personal Entry

“Cor-*sigh* Madison's journal entry number...I can't even remember. Been a while and I refuse to listen to my old ones anymore. I arrived...somewhat at my destination. Still a little more north than I wanted, radiation affecting the compass maybe? Or maybe I was too distracted by the structures north of Boston. I've heard of fenced in communities but this was definitely ridiculous. Concrete walls, rebar front gate, watch towers even? Seemed like a good place for a settlement or perhaps worse. No, I am the worse now.

Surprised what I saw when I approached. Single woman working some malfruit plants into the ground. Looked up at me and smiled. Past the spikes, past the rusted rifle, above the bomb collar. To my face. Even invited me in. Too trusting perhaps. But if she feels this safe to approach someone looking like me then there had to be others. Alayna. That's what she said her name is. Guided me around this town. Said this was her second time settling here after being forced out the first time. Made me think. Not so much then, but now.

Bodies, blood, bullet casings. Something. Creatures even. Nothing but the occasional radroach or bloat fly that comes in over the wall. What the hell forced her out? Did they just leave? This place is paradise. Good water, plenty of wood, enough room for farms. Hell, raiders come in they could just take from the nearby Abernathy farm. So where is everyone? No bones either. There's one place constantly guarded by a Mr. Handy robot. Bad choice for a guard, but everything's in there. They have to be.

Don't know why I'm getting worked up. Forgetting my whole reason for being here. Gotta backtrack. Gotta get to when Heather came in as Alayna left.

She's like me. Suspicious, defensive. But she's suspicious of me. The look of a raider but the collar of a slave. She didn't bother going for the name, simply asked where I was from. Stuck to the story.

Told her I was a slave from the Pitt. Sent out to see how things were going in Boston. See if it could be salvaged or turned into a new base. She used a mocking tone when she said she knew the place was still running and told me to go back. Her fingers fidgeted a little, could tell from my own stance down the hill. Again; kept calm and stuck to the story.

Tracking chip in my collar telling them exactly how far I was. If I went back now they'd know I never even made it to Boston. Kill me on sight and just send another. Another that could bypass Heather entirely, see Boston still standing, and report back. One, perhaps two months later they're getting a whole new band of raiders coming in to claim the place. Saying that shut her up. Told her I had no intention of that. So long as she let me go into Boston I could at least go back and report it a smoldering crater.

Things tensed, clinking noises distracted us. Alayna returned with a couple Nuka Cola bottles. Prefer going the sunset strip myself but...in a pinch.

Staying the night now. Alayna says she can take me as far as Concord after I told her the story. Faster to believe it than Heather. Hate lying, but lying's going to keep the Commonwealth alive. Going to keep it free.”

October 28th, 2287 – Personal entry
“Or still the twenty-seventh, I don't know. Lingering thought in my mind of the former inhabitants of this place. Entire place was clean, things like that don't just happen without signs of some kind of struggle. Toured around when I was given the time but kept away from the house with the robot guarding the door. Would've asked but...I think that would have drawn suspicions toward me in figuring this out. Heather...Alayna...they're both cannibals. Either that or just Alayna is and Heather's set to be the next victim alongside myself.

Staying in the furthest building from the two, so Heather must not know. Used the collar as an excuse, said if it went off it'd only take myself out. Don't think they're used to these things out here there's only enough charge in these things to take out a persons neck. In actuality, I'm going out later tonight. There's a good vantage point atop this building. I can take an elevator straight to the top and walk along the roof. Only trouble is the distance. If I had a scope...

Forgetting the recon, I'll just sleep with a gun under the pillow. Feels like it'll be uncomfortable but I heard it was an old world saying. Wonder what nightmares those people were having.”

October 28th, 2287 – Travel entry

“Say it again for the posterity of my journal.”

“I lived before the bombs fell. I was taken into a vault where myself and my family were cryogenically frozen for over two hundred years.”

October 28th, 2287 – Personal entry

“Glad I got that in on the way. Alayna said that if we were going to be traveling together, even if just to Concord, it'd be best that we get to understand one another. I kept to my story and Heather wouldn't shut up about syncs or whatever she was talking about. Body doubles sounds about right. What's so wrong about those? Heard Kimball used them himself as well.

Heather was also concerned about the collar. Still feared how it might go off. I told her the leash was long and that it's more a timer thing in my case. Only...I forget how long it's been. She's keeping her distance and I'm liking it. Sooner or later she'll figure it out. Probably punch me in the arm...or the face.

Thinking about the vault now though...there's definitely ways someone could go so far as to make up everything that happened. Could've come down earlier, found some names, pieced a story together. Her name was definitely on the terminal as being in the pods. There was definitely one pod empty. But...she stopped before one. Looked into at the slumped over body inside of it. Nothing needed to be said, no doubts needed to be had.

She was smiling because she was kind, courteous. Not because she was sizing me up as her next meal. She was home rebuilding it and seeing someone new come to her neighborhood brought back fond memories for her.

I heard someone say once that when the bombs fell they stripped away Earth bringing hell into the open. Her smile might just be the last remnant of happier times. I don't know what Heather's motives are, but mine are clear. Everyone's going to see that smile and I'm going to keep bringing reasons for it to come out.”

October 29th, 2287 – Personal Entry

“Trader came by. All Alayna wanted from them was a pro snap camera and a book. A blank one. I asked if she too was going to keep a journal. Then she snapped it. Took a bit, but I figured how to get it into this holotape. That's me to the left and Heather, per her own fears, is far to the right. The bottom is with Alayna. Hm, why did she blink? One job. With all that's gone on, I didn't ask about the collar. Maybe she wears it for some special feeling. Maybe to make me feel at home. Maybe there's more to her relationship with Heather. I don't have the heart to approach her on such a topic now. Not after yesterday. We'll just get to Concord. I'll tell Alayna I'm sticking around a little while longer after. Need the time to readjust the story.

P.S. Heather still insists I sleep at the far end of town. I should tell her my collar is nuclear.”



No comments:

Post a Comment