Saturday 7 July 2018

Queen's Blade Characters Then & Now

All measurements are in CM with HEIGHT/BUST/WAIST/HIPS. This isn't character reviews but rather my views on the character changes. The measurements were taken from the Queens Blade: Perfect Visual Collection book, last copyrighted in 2012 (So before the Rebellion arc). The new ones are straight from the site so...not making things up nor am I getting information from a second or even third party source. New is above and old is to the right. Hopefully that works like that. If not, then new is first/left and old is still right. Hope you all enjoy. :)






AIRI
First Series Measurements: 161/86/56/83
Unlimited Measurements: --157/86/56/83
Thoughts: So a few things I notice when comparing the two designs. For one the pigtails are higher with a lot more flow in them, there's the obviousness of the collar and leash (something I'll get into a little more later), her weapon looks a lot more demonic and less old school, little more puff to her shoulders and...wow, her breasts are bigger. Now, in some images they certainly over exaggerate their size making them out to be bigger than her head! But if you notice her measurements don't really change any. Just a few centimetres difference in height. As a matter of fact, a lot of the fighters come out shorter than their previous selves. Now, when it comes to the collar...I dunno if it's actually being used for the story or if it's promotional bait. Those that are familiar with anime will know of “yuri bait”, which is where two female leads are put in a position where one has a sexual attraction to the other. Whether it be a kiss or breast groping the bait comes into play when this doesn't lead anywhere. They just go back to being friends the next episode and no one talks about it. So is that what this is? I hope not for two reasons; one it's a maid on a leash and that's one of the hottest things evah! Two; Elina and Airi are numbers 3 and 2 respectively of my top five favorite characters so to see this level of interaction between the two has me as excited as first seeing the OVA episode focusing on Alleyne and Nyx. 1 and 5 for those wondering.




ALDRA
First Series Measurements: 145/75/53/77
Unlimited Measurements: --145/75/53/77
Thoughts: Okay, so...yeah. You might notice it right away; the demon changed behind her. Frankly, I'm surprised they even went with a male demon in the original series to begin with. So we can't get too detailed in their looks especially as she's most likely playing the role similarly to her male counterpart. As for Aldra herself...she's one of the few that got more added to their wardrobe. Imagine that. Her sword is a little more curved, less buster swordy, and she no longer has the large horns, straps, and spiked strap on. Seriously! Look at that! Even the toy has it! Of course, I broke it when I first got it. Told Kat, let her know she wasn't alone. But I mostly miss the straps. I thought those were pretty cool. A pain in getting the top off the doll but cool to see in the series. It definitely gave her something different, which only drew more attention away from Risty's form fitting dress after getting all mind zapped. I do love, however, the prominence of her elven self being more on display. So you're probably wondering if she's #4. Sadly...she's not. She's barely in the top ten. That's because there's another gal in this lineup I'd proudly call Mistress before her.




ALLEYNE
First Series Measurements: 160/80/54/80
Unlimited Measurements: --160/80/54/80
Thoughts: I've covered this before when they first showed her so I'll just reiterate. New cape, new shoulder bits, no gloves? Huh, that's the first time I've noticed that and I've spent countless hours oogling her. Her weapon's got a redesign as well but given she's essentially second fiddle in Nowa's story...sadly they didn't give her much else. It sucks, I hate it, but that's the way of it. I still love her though and I hope she has a more prominent role in this series. I'd say more but...I'd just wind up gushing. It's hard to say whether I like one outfit over the other with such a small change. She looks younger. That's one thing. Still serious, though. Seriously cute.




CATTLEYA
First Series Measurements: 175/120/68/99
Unlimited Measurements: --175/120/68/99
Thoughts: “We want someone designed around an apron” is basically the starting point in the design of Cattleya. Given they already had Airi at this point I guess it was just natural the next point they'd go to would be someone...motherly. Motherly, apparently, means breasts. Big ones. Big giant ones. Big giant pokey ones that can take out both eyes with her toy. Really, aside from the boots and gloves, all she wears in first series is the apron. So it's sad to see it go in the way of a bikini. It diminishes the character, I think, and the addition of a head scarf thing only pushes it further from being the badass mother. Just looks like someone who forgot to get dressed while stepping out of the kitchen. Also, something else of note, her sword actually got shorter. The design's the same but it's actually half the original size. Cutting her down far too much.




CLAUDETTE
First Series Measurements: 172/89/60/87
Unlimited Measurements: --175/98/60/87
Thoughts: I think it's obvious to see that the biggest change out of everyone came in the form of Claudette's appearance. I mean WOW they took a lot off her. She looks more like a badass, I'll admit, and her sword looks a bit more practical. Can never really understand the whole spike tips at the end of a blade. But...one thing I don't like is the sudden straightening of her hair. It's...with everyone, it seems, or most everyone at least and it just makes her look more like someone who has maids tend to her than someone who spends a lot of time harnessing her abilities. Not saying her original was ugly, just that she seems more interested in looking good than being good. Also, can we acknowledge the 9cm different in breast size? Wowzers. I mean it's hard to tell the difference in the images but Je-sus!




ECHIDNA
First Series Measurements: 162/94/63/86
Unlimited Measurements: --168/94/60/86
Thoughts: Okay, just gonna say this; new Echidna, while still sexy, looks like a second player reskin of the original with just enough differences to let players know which one they're using. There, I said it. The dark skin is nice and it contrasts nicely with the outfit. Kinda sick of seeing dark skin characters wearing dark colours. Especially given that doesn't seem to be her style. She wants to be seen. She's one of the most known individuals in that world. I do want to see more between her and Alleyne though. Mostly because I wanna see more Alleyne. But anyway, she's another character given a height difference and thinned down some in the waist department, as you can tell. Her weapon is also one of the few that doesn't change but the placement of her daggers certainly do. I dunno, is that practical? They do it in movies off the time. Make the woman look like she's touching herself bringing up her dress and BAM! Knife in the head. So it's good like that but in the middle of combat? I dunno, I've never had any fighting or combat experience so I'm just talking stuff.




ELINA
First Series Measurements: 168/85/54/84
Unlimited Measurements: --163/85/54/84
Thoughts: I'm a little torn here. Not because she's number three in my favorite character list, but because I like the lace but I miss the coat. I get why the cat themed gear had to go. She wasn't a wild woman, she's captain of the guard. Though, at the same time, it seems like the army only had enough to fund armor for the first two Vance sisters, those being Claudette's and Leina, and Elina just got what was left over. Quartermaster probably shrugged and said “I guess this'll work.” She still rocks it, there's no denying that, and I like the ribbon at the end of her spear. Very reminiscent of those feathers or...whatever at the ends of the Chinese spears. Those flashy bits that conceal the blade when fighting. I'm also gonna go on a side tangent here cause...I really hope her attitude is the same. Of all the characters, after all, she's the one whose boots I'd want to polish and her abusive nature? Only gonna make me wanna please her more. M'row!




IRMA
First Series Measurements: 167/85/58/83
Unlimited Measurements: --158/85/55/83
Thoughts: Irma...poor, poor Irma. She's supposed to be an assassin trained in the art by Echidna, working for Aldra while plotting to kill her. Now...now she's like the sailor scout they left back at home because she was too young to go on adventures. In a fit of rage she tore up her costume and said “This is how you become an adult.” I clearly prefer her older costume. Though the scarf has a nice effect. I once wrote a story with someone who hid blades at the corners of his trenchcoat, but nothing so out there as Irma's. That's clearly more for look that practicality. It's only one more thing that Irma has to keep on her mind and, as an assassin, there should really be only one thing. I do appreciate the overhaul of her outfit but I just can't see any practical use in it. Also, they made her shorter and decreased her bust size. Really? Not that it's a complaint just...really?




LEINA
First Series Measurements: 170/88/60/85
Unlimited Measurements: --165/88/60/85
Thoughts: There's not a lot of differences here, she just...somehow seems more naked in her newer look. Maybe it's the lacking of buckles around the waist (you can never have enough buckles) and I keep thinking her armor is less detailed but it's just detailed in a different way. It appears thinner, less bulky, more form fitting than something that's there. Kinda reminds me of playing Fallout with just armor pieces over your underwear. Her sword is either angled or it's indeed shorter and her hair...I presume this is before she cuts it because that was her turning point when she gave herself the boycut. It was a sign to herself that she was only going forward down the warriors route. So, yeah, hopefully this is a before to that.




MELONA
First Series Measurements: Adjustable
Unlimited Measurements: Set as indefinite
Thoughts: Aside from the different art styles, there's not a whole lot different in her attire. The hands covering her breasts look less like hands and more like, well, slime hands. Aside from that there's nothing else. I did always like this outfit, I thought it was different and given she sprays a sort of acidic substance from her breasts I thought it practical of her to have the spare hands always at the ready there. That way she has her other hands to fight hard. The only grievance I ever had was the modern look of her in the medieval setting. But that's just me.






MELPHA
First Series Measurements: 166/96/67/88
Unlimited Measurements: --167/96/64/90
Thoughts: Yep. Apparently her breasts didn't shrink. Yeah, it's the first thing I kinda noticed as well. Hers is another outfit that's changed a fair deal and it's funny to note how the original design was actually a challenge to do a full body cover of clothing. That's...the challenge. But, given how everyone else looks, it makes sense. So it's sad to see that challenge go with the input of her bare thighs there. Honestly though...I kinda like the change. I like it a little more than her original where it does seem as though they cheated in covering her up by drawing her sternum and legs bare then just giving them a white cover. Plus she looks more like a white mage in the new one and, as they say, you don't. Fuck. With the white mage.






MENACE
First Series Measurements: 157/90/58/85
Unlimited Measurements: --157/90/58/85
Thoughts: Um...did anything change here? I mean aside from potentially making Cetra into a ring as opposed to sceptre. I know the new one showcases some purple by her gold plated top but, according to her figure, she's had that since the original. It's just she's angled in a way that it's hidden. I mean, I guess I always enjoyed her outfit, thought it rather unique. If it's not broke don't fix it, right?









NANAEL
First Series Measurements: 162/84/57/82
Unlimited Measurements: --150/84/57/82
Thoughts: Did...they just stop trying by the time they got to this point? Sure Nanael's barrettes are bigger and there are wings, but everything's the exact same! She's just...shorter! Bottle's a little bigger though and the ribbon at the front is a tad bit wider. Anything else I'm a little lost.











NOWA
First Series Measurements: 158/75/55/81
Unlimited Measurements: --149/78/55/81
Thoughts: This is the one I'm most annoyed with. She looks too clean here. Okay, they didn't change anything from her costume but the hair. The hair! It's not the kind of hair you expect from someone who spends her time guarding the forest. The first one made her look playful with that tussle worthy hairstyle. This one...she just looks like someone who likes strolling the forest and not getting dirty. They smoothed out most everyone's hair and, for some, I'm okay with it. Not. With. Nowa.








NYX
First Series Measurements: 165/86/56/83
Unlimited Measurements: --165/86/56/83
Thoughts: Funny story about Nyx; Her story of abuse and trying to rise above it and even her outfit? Yeah, it's based off western super heroes. I mean she's got a tragic past of abuse at the hands of individuals like Elina so her hair worked. Covering herself up as a sign of her lack in confidence. Kinda sucks. Aside from that gone is the nightclub lounge singer look and in is the va-va-voom appearance. She does look more like a super hero, in the outlandish sense as compared to what she had before, and her breasts...her breasts! How have her measurements not changed? Tell me! What kind of tape are they using? Do they need someone to remeasure? I'll do it for free!





RISTY
First Series Measurements: 179/90/66/85
Unlimited Measurements: --179/90/62/85
Thoughts: Few minor changes here. Sandals, coloring brightness, shield, hair...hair? HAIR?! Why is the hair always so smooth? I can understand with some of the characters, but Risty's supposed to be a bandit! Camping out in the forest! Under the stars! Not...always conditioned! I'm so, so, so disappointed. Breasts and thin waists aside on these fighters, at the very least in the last season we could've looked to the hair for a semblance of realism to the world they lived in. Just so long as in this series they don't put her in that awful looking black dress. Seriously, what the hell was with that one?






TOMOE
First Series Measurements: 160/87/57/85
Unlimited Measurements: --160/87/57/85
Thoughts: Okay, another missing items puzzle here. Sword's a bit different, just a tiny bit. End of her sheath doesn't have that curve and there's no bell at the end of the handle. Plus there's a bow in her hair, which is rather cute. Little more flesh shown along her thighs. Other than that...I'm actually surprised. She was a pretty big deal in the last series. But I suppose they can't over sexualize a priestess garb without resorting to just making it smaller.





















YMIR
First Series Measurements: 120/61/52/66
Unlimited Measurements: --120/61/52/66
Thoughts: So right off the bat there's the whole princess appearance now. It's smaller in parts and her ax looks a lot better, to be honest. I like that they kept her gauntlet and stepped her away from the whole loli look she had going. She looks like someone I would follow to the field now. The flowers though...are they a part of her ax or is she just holding them? Her attire does look...wedding-ish. Hm.

No comments:

Post a Comment